Last night in Rome


Ah, the eternal city. Eternally beautiful, mesmerizing, amazing, and truthfully, sometimes a little stinky. We've had to stop drinking the water here and are now feeling much better. I don’t know if that means we’re drinking bottled water for 4 months, but for now we will. We weren't enjoying being jet-lagged and feeling ill. We'll take our calamities one at a time thank you.

These beautiful fountains are everywhere. Why does my digestive system have to be such a princess?


The Colosseum, aka the cathedral of death. Listening to Rick Steves.
Back to Rome, the history is really very difficult to take in. It’s hard to really comprehend what it means to look upon something man-made that is 2000+ years old. It’s also mind-boggling to hear the stories of what life was like in those times, particularly the disregard for the value of human life. The horrible things they did to man and beast, either to accomplish a task or for entertainment, is difficult to accept.
Apparently the most lavish McD's, near the Spanish Steps

We’ve also enjoyed the simpler things about Rome. Strolls through the maze of buildings never gets old. We passed a hardware store today, and a violin maker, a fabric store, tobacco stores, butchers, fish mongers and so, so, so many restaurants. They are always just a little window and/or doorway, but when you walk inside it’s like Narnia where they wind and twist into all kinds of rooms.  The grocery store we frequent has about 6 rooms, with steps up or down into each. Then you can just stumble into a huge church. Where does that fit in, like literally “fit in?” Everything is just packed in close here in a tangle of rooftops and add-ons. It must be a nightmare for a plumber or electrician to sort it all out.
Fancy Schmancy McD's in Rome
The girls are doing so well. They are PUMPED to be here and say so everyday. They walk miles and miles with hardly a complaint. At home, we can hardly get Aria to walk to the Nature Pond with us. When I asked her why, she said, “Well, I’ve been there a thousand times. I’ve never been here before.” We’ve waited in 2 hour line-ups. No complaints. We’ve had food that isn’t totally familiar. No complaints. They have been a joy to have along and it’s a joy to watch them take it all in.

Bridge near the Vatican

Can you find 3 members of the HM family?
Our neighbourhood
It constantly feels as though you’re in a movie set. Because you’re walking through “hallways” of buildings, the stillness of the air and the way the noises around you bounce around off the walls, it makes you feel as though you might be inside, but then you turn a corner and you’re in a huge Piazza with street performers, fountains and vendors. I am constantly lost. I used to pride myself on my sense of direction, but last summer in St. John’s already beat that out of me, so now I just traipse happily behind Rick who has the map and a steadier sense of where we are. It’s nice to take the back seat once in awhile!

We have learned so much about history and culture, and today, about the history of the Catholic Church. Today we toured St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican. I admit that much of the story of Peter was new to me, or maybe just forgotten. Coming from my Mennonite roots, I tried hard to put down my hang-ups and just look for understanding. And then apparently I needed some humbling because when I opened a water bottle that I didn't know was carbonated, it hissed and spurted all over the floor.  


St Peter's Bascilla
St Peter's during mass, the size and scope of this building is gargantuan
We were lucky enough to be able to be part of the daily mass at the Basilica. The mass was in Latin and Italian, which none of us understands of course, except for a few words that I remember from chamber choir repertoire. However, I do know the word “Grazi” (it sounds similar in Latin – Gratius) and because that’s about all I understood, I noticed that word everytime it was spoken and which was meaningful to me. “Grazi Senior” was repeated often. It rung in my ears and reminded me of a phrase I heard recently. “Gratitude is the only appropriate response to the gift of life.” Suddenly all the gold, the pomp and the ceremony was reduced to something I recognized, and something universal. Gratitude.

Grazi for the gift of this trip, for the gift of my family, and for the gift of life itself

Comments

  1. I loved reading these stories and viewing the photos. And then I got to the last paragraph which caused me to pause with this profound reminder you shared. Thank you!! Happy days ahead until you can share more (and I hope the bottled water continues to favour you well:).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment